Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union Foundation announces the award of mini-grants to six teachers across the Philadelphia region. In its second mini-grant offering, the Foundation reviewed applications from kindergarten through twelfth grade teachers to help fund innovative student-oriented educational experiences that might not otherwise be funded.
Grants were awarded to these applicants:
- Persia Ali, Overbrook High School, Philadelphia, PA– $500 for supplies from Lakeshore Learning for Special Needs students to give them hands on experience to practice real life tasks.
- Anthony Arno, Chichester Middle School, Boothwyn, PA– $450 for a STEM Science Fair with Rocket building and launching.
- Colleen DiMaggio, Darby Township, Harris, Delcroft, and Sharon Hill Schools, Southeast Delco Schools– $360 for an Embryology in the Classroom, a 21-day incubation program for students to see the full development of the chick through candling from start to finish.
- Erin Gauntner, Pope John Paul II High School, Royersford, PA – $250 for an Aquaponics farming system.
- Karen McGinnis, Hillcrest Elementary, Drexel Hill, PA – $500 for five tablets for the iRead Program to improve student’s reading skills.
- Kirk McGrotty and his colleagues, Interboro High School, Prospect Park, PA– $432 for an incubator for science experiments.
FMFCU Foundation Executive Director, Rick Durante said that he and the Foundation Board are pleased with the response the mini-grant initiative in its first two years, and they plan to keep the program running. An announcement regarding applications for the 2020-2021 school year will be forthcoming this summer. “It’s inspiring to see teachers make such a big impact in their student’s education with these mini-grants,” Durante added.
FMFCU Foundation is also responsible for Delco Hi-Q, the annual Excellence in Teaching Awards, which recognizes 20 teachers and their schools with cash grants, the annual John D. Unangst Memorial Scholarship which awards five high school seniors $3,000 each, and directly funds a number of other educational initiatives and awards.